Monday, June 22, 2020

Tachanka Pt 3

Working on a third tachanka, this one is based on a plan created by Mike O. Here are my own attempts at following his plan. Perhaps I'll ask if he minds if I share the plans here.

Preparing the springs
Here's my cart. Sides are of foam board, held together with toothpicks and wire. Index card folded and ready to be glued onto the structure.

springs rolled, cart and undercarriage built, railings attached, ready to put together.

I didn't get the measurements from Mike O for the plan, so I more-or-less guessed on sizing. The tachanka came out a little large for my liking. I'll likely make a 4th version off of a similar plan, slightly scaled down. 
Here's how it ended up once put together with figures and horses, then spray primed brown. The figures are from various sources (HAT Russian Heavy Weapons, Orion Red First Cavalry's Budenny himself as the gunner, with a converted hat of clay and glue, as well as some Strelets Tereck Cossack Cavalry).
The horses in the center had been previously painted. Ive added sand to the base, which I'll darken and cover with grass later. I've also started some early painting on the figures.
Perhaps hard to see, but I've changed how the driver holds the reigns, now with 2 lines in each hand. So, he holds the reigns for the two horses on the right with his right hand, and vice versa. 

A few shots beside the other 2 tachankas, for size reference









No comments:

Post a Comment