Saturday, June 5, 2021

Happy June

As the pandemic seems to be drawing to a close, I've found myself with less time to work on miniatures and scenarios, play games, and write reports. This is probably for the better! I've been holding off on painting the cases of Russian Civil War armies I have waiting for me, hoping to finish up the last of my current Mexican Revolution and Spanish Civil War projects before diving down the next rabbit hole. Toward that end, I just finished writing a new AAR for the First Battle of Tijuana. I'm also working on some minor conversions.


I had a few extra metal heads and right arms leftover from the latest Early War Miniatures order I placed, and a bunch of plastic figures I bought from the Barcelona Universal Models' recent closing sale. As I have many copies of these plastic figures already painted and more waiting in reserve, just in case, I was eager to add some new poses to the limited number of women combatants. In particular, I had way too many copies of the BUM militia woman who is just standing there, barely holding her rifle (there's six examples in the photo, above, in black plastic). I was excited to make some new, more interesting and exciting poses.


So I removed their arms and, on some other figures, their heads. Below, I used two EWM heads to turn Spanish militiamen into Mexican revolutionaries. Beneath them, I glue a pistol-gripping arm onto one of the women.


For another, I planned to give her a sword, raised in the air, though I had to re-glue the hand and sword to the arm after breaking it off in a failed gluing attempt...


A few other militia women I turned into flag bearers. For flag poles: simple metal wire. Some I removed their hats with a knife, mostly because during the first days of the Spanish Civil War--the most excited ones in my opinion--the armed workers did not yet wear hats. I also planned to give a flag pole to a US infantryman, whose rifle I had broken off.


Some updates: the women with new arms and new purpose.


On two of them, I gave them back their rifles, hanging on their backs.


Here's the ones for the Mexican Revolution, new heads and arms.

I particularly like the guy kneeling. Gave him a new, sombrerod head and a raised arm, figuring he could be a machine gun or artillery operator. 

Lastly, here's five more plastic figures for which I made sombreros out of clay. My hats are a little iffy, and the new arms and heads I used are a little too large, but all painted up on the table and in this tiny scale, it doesn't look too bad.


More updates, one day.











1 comment:

  1. Clever use of these figures. I got some of them in the same sale so this might inspire me to do some conversions. Regards, Pat

    ReplyDelete