Tuesday, March 21, 2023

cardboard sailing boats and and ships pt 2

I've done some more work on these cardboard ships I began last month.

I added a couple of layers of brown oil paint, the second layer lighter in tone and heavier on the oil than the first. I used wide brushes and painted in long strokes to try to simulate the look of planks. 

Here are the smaller vessels:

Close up on the larger of the smaller ships..




The larger ships, three sloops and a snow, got the same paint treatment.






Some of the sloops closer up:



I have special plans for this sloop, which I intend to paint as Bellamy's ship Marianne, for which I found a description of how it was painted.


The largest of these is the snow:


I used black paint for the cannons.


After the second layer of paint dried, I used thread and glue to add the rigging. 




Finally, I began experimenting with adding sails to two of the smaller vessels. I cut up some old pillow cases to size and glued them to the masts, yard arms, and rigging. For these, I did not use watery glue to harden them, so they are still soft and flexible. For the next batch, I will try the other method on some of the other smaller vessels, and compare the two processes before moving on to the bigger ships.



Thanks all, check back soon for an update on this project!





No comments:

Post a Comment