Monday, May 29, 2023

Right-wing Militias

During the Spanish Civil War, both sides of the conflict fielded ideological militia units. Today, I am sharing my Right-Wing militias, in preparation for Scenario 3: The Battle of Caspe. Below, you will find photos of the Requete militias, followed by those of the Falange.

In the images below, we have the Requete militia, preparing to defend the Caspe church (based loosely off the real church in Caspe).


The Requetes began as a Catholic monarchist boy-scouts-type operation, which became militarized before the war. Politically, they were a bizarre "Carlist" faction. The movement began a century before the Spanish Civil War, by supporters of Ferdinand VII's son, Carlos V, who made a claim to the Spanish throne in 1833.

By the 1930s, they were a large and well-organized outfit, based largely in the Basque region, who wanted Spain to be even more conservative and Catholic than it already was, if you can believe that.

At the top of the church, various Requete militiamen stand around an armed priest (from Irregular miniatures). There are many reports of clergy members firing out at the crowds of workers in the opening days of the Spanish Civil War, which led in some cases to mobs attacking the churches. 1, 2, 3*.

With the priest are a Requete LMG team, from Miniarions, as well as various grenaders and a spotter/officer, which I believe was from one of Caesar Miniatures' partisans sets (Underground Resisters, or Partisans in Europe). 




The Carlists in the church plaza are also a mix of Minairons and Ceasars. 



In the church itself, I have another priest from Irregular, as well as nuns from the Partisans in Europe set.




For the next set of the photos, we have the real fascists of the Spanish Civil War - The Falange militia. I won't say too much more about them politically, but I did put them here in the graveyard, where fascists belong.


These miniatures are all plastic, mostly from the same sets of Caesars' but also some Barcelona Universal Models (BUM).







*3. Paz, Abel. Durruti in the Spanish Revolution. AK, 2007. Page 435.
-Thanks to Lee for research assistance on this blog post.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, giggling about the facists on the graveyard bit! Good mix of troops, gear and uniforms as befits militia units.

    Your Requete need a tan, maybe you want to consider a wash with some very very diluted dark brown paint all over to give the paintjob some depth? Perhaps try it on one figure first, and see if you like it. The brown tends to pool on eyes and mouths too so no need to paint those.

    After the the basic block paint job and the wash, I seal the whole miniature with a clear matt coat for protection. Works for me as a very gratifying way to improve my paintjobs quickly. Regards, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! I appreciate your tips as well. Being colorblind, skin tone is probably the hardest thing for me to paint. I've never tried a wash, I handle shaded areas in the opposite direction (oil paint over dark brown primer), but perhaps I'll give it a try! I've also taken up spraying finished minis with a clear coat for protection, though these were some of my earliest and I'm not sure if they got the treatment or not. I appreciate your comment again. I just posted a similar set of photos of my security forces:
      https://poetsinthetrenches.blogspot.com/2023/06/assault-guards-and-civil-guards.html

      Delete